Category: Vestry Notes

Cottage meeting notes

Cottage meeting attendees:  Tina Kopp, Dave Tyler, Frank Decker, David Burgess, Wendy Flynn, Rob Hradsky.

In reviewing the survey results, there was some confusion because the results didn’t display the key (1= strongly disagree to 5= strongly agree). For most questions a “high score” was good, but for the couple of negative questions (i.e. “We have a communication problem”), a low score was good.

     Frank noted that the Vestry communicated well. He said that we were especially open about finances which is apparently not the case in many Episcopal churches.

      There was a discussion about how the vestry communicates with the parish. Should monthly minutes be available to everyone either on-line or in the newsletter? If so, personal or confidential information should be omitted. Rob suggested that a vestry member could give a brief update during a church service.

     There was strong consensus that Dan has been wonderful. He gives excellent sermons which is important. David Burgess said that he is a Godsend, welcoming and kind.

      Frank felt that talent and enthusiasm are what drives St. David’s.

      D. Burgess would like a picture of each congregant for a collage.

      There was a question as to whether a demographic profile of each member should be sent to the diocese.

       Wendy is interested in arranging with some local artists to show their work in the church on a rotating basis. The details will have to be worked out after the pandemic.

       I think it’s safe to say that everyone is more than happy with Dan and would be very pleased to have him as our Rector.

Meeting #2

Get on with it = (IMO) enough rigmarole; time to install Rev. Dan

Time restriction answer: Linda answered that he would be a permanent fixture. That seemed to satisfy the inquiry.

Meeting #3

– What effect does Dan moving from priest-in-charge to rector have on his compensation?

Remain the same? Form/parts change but total remains the same? Will it change?

– Relating to one or more of the survey questions;  “are these unresolved issues at St. Davids because of the past (Wally?)  or current”.

– Feeling of positive attitude at St. Davids in that people, including the Diocese, are looking forward and not being influenced by the past.

– Dan’s weekly Bible study is very worthwhile as well as interesting.  Too bad more people do not take advantage of it.


August Vestry Minutes

August 31, 2020
Due to COVID-19 the vestry meeting was conducted via ZOOM beginning at 5:30PM.

PRESENT:
Clergy:The Rev. Dan Handschy and Canon Carrie Schofield-Broadbent
Wardens:Tina Kopp and Bob Meyer
Vestry:Laura Hannett-Smith, Mike Kimber, Carol Murphy, Jim Shults, Dave Tyler, Ann Wickes and Linda
Williams
Treasurer:Denise Mako

VESTRY/STAFF SURVEY:Dan H. and Carrie S-B.
Carrie S-B. and Dan H. went over the results of the survey that was given to the vestry and staff. Fifteen people completed it. To review the questions and responses, please see the attachment at the end of the minutes.
Carrie S-B. asked if there were any clarifying questions from the vestry. The only area that she noticed a discrepancy was the one about the vestry communicating regularly. Below are some of the comments from the vestry:
There have been a lot of changes at St. David’s in the past year. If we really think about it, due to COVID 19, the changes have come in the first six months. St. David’s is moving forward quickly.
The results were not surprising since our finances are in good shape and Dan H. is a positive influence at St. David’s.
The Mutual Ministry Review is the beginning of at the plan to see where God is leading us. This survey is a snapshot of where the parish is today. She doesn’t see much that needs to be fixed. We need to talk about how to keep moving forward. Some ideas put forth:
Form a survey for the whole congregation. Some think it is a good idea since the congregation may have different views than the vestry. We need to know if the congregation does not feel the same as the vestry.
Add a question about what can we do to become stronger. What are we missing? Do you feel welcome at St. David’s and why. Do you feel like you can participate in the life of the parish? How do you feel you can participate and why?
Have small group conversations. Surveys don’t always reach the heart of the parish. Face-to-face meetings often bring other issues to light.
Some do not feel that we need to survey the congregation but they should know about the survey and its results. It feels like we are giving ourselves a report card and the congregations needs to be able to respond. Sending a survey to the congregation can raise their anxiety.
The next step will be for the wardens and Dan H. to meet with Carrie S-B. and look at ways to share this data with the congregation as a whole. Dan H. will summarize the survey for the weekly newsletter. He will mention the positive internal review and ask where we would like to go from here. The Congregational Development Model will help answer that question.
Carrie S-B. offered thanks to God for his blessing on St. David’s and she is joyous to see us coming together. Bob M. thanked her for all her support over the last fifteen months. At this time Carrie S-B. left the meeting.


Carrie S-B. asked if there were any clarifying questions from the vestry. The only area that she noticed a discrepancy was the one about the vestry communicating regularly. Below are some of the comments from the vestry:
There have been a lot of changes at St. David’s in the past year. If we really think about it, due to COVID 19, the changes have come in the first six months. St. David’s is moving forward quickly.
The results were not surprising since our finances are in good shape and Dan H. is a positive influence at St. David’s.
The Mutual Ministry Review is the beginning of at the plan to see where God is leading us. This survey is a snapshot of where the parish is today. She doesn’t see much that needs to be fixed. We need to talk about how to keep moving forward. Some ideas put forth:
Form a survey for the whole congregation. Some think it is a good idea since the congregation may have different views than the vestry. We need to know if the congregation does not feel the same as the vestry.
Add a question about what can we do to become stronger. What are we missing? Do you feel welcome at St. David’s and why. Do you feel like you can participate in the life of the parish? How do you feel you can participate and why?
Have small group conversations. Surveys don’t always reach the heart of the parish. Face-to-face meetings often bring other issues to light.
Some do not feel that we need to survey the congregation but they should know about the survey and its results. It feels like we are giving ourselves a report card and the congregations needs to be able to respond. Sending a survey to the congregation can raise their anxiety.
The next step will be for the wardens and Dan H. to meet with Carrie S-B. and look at ways to share this data with the congregation as a whole. Dan H. will summarize the survey for the weekly newsletter. He will mention the positive internal review and ask where we would like to go from here. The Congregational Development Model will help answer that question.
Carrie S-B. offered thanks to God for his blessing on St. David’s and she is joyous to see us coming together. Bob M. thanked her for all her support over the last fifteen months. At this time Carrie S-B. left the meeting.

The July minutes were read on-line. Jim S. made a motion to accept them, seconded by Dave T. and approved.

FINANCIAL REPORT: Denise M.
We will have a loss of about $5400.00 for the month of August. That is typical for this time of year because some people prepay their pledges. Since we are not going to have a garage sale, we need to watch our expenses. As a parish we are better off than many at this extraordinary time. Denise M. will be moving approximately $15,000.00 in restricted (designated) money to the savings account until it is needed. Bob M. does not anticipate calling back the cleaning service until we are back in the building.

OLD BUSINESS:
PPP LOAN:Dan H.
Vanessa from Solvay Bank sent the documents that are needed to apply for forgiveness of that loan. We still have six months to get the paperwork in. The whole loan will be forgiven since it was only used for eight weeks of payroll.
INDOOR WORSHIP:Dan H.
There will be no changes until at least September 22 when the clergy meets with the Bishop.
MUSIC/CHOIR:Dan H.
Dick Fields would like to get music together for services. Possibly he will get together with people on Thursday evenings to prepare for Sunday. There can be no choir decisions until we know when we will be back in the building and allowed to sing. We are coming into September when the choir would be back. Dick F. would like the soloists to be back in business.

Bob M. mentioned that we need to start looking for a new treasurer since Denise M. will tender her resignation at the Annual Meeting. We should put something in the newsletter.

Laura H-S. mentioned that the parish hall would not be a good place for church services because there is only one usable egress/entry point. Although there is an outside door it is hard to reach since there is no sidewalk leading to it. Dan H. agreed, stating he would hate to have the church be the source of someone’s infection.

Jim S. made a motion to adjourn at 6:20PM, seconded by Linda W. and approved. Our next meeting will be at 7PM on Monday September 28.

Respectfully submitted,

Susan Parry, Clerk of the Vestry